ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive and Path Definition

2012-01-19 10:24:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive and Path Definition
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:57:26 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/19/2012
08:42:26 AM:

> > Our libraries are 3584 scsi libraries, which are different animals
from
> > 3494 libraries.  Sorry, I should have said that.
> >
> > Any time we have changed the physical library it has required us to
bounce
> > TSM so the new slots EA and/or drive EA are available to TSM.  In our
> > case, that's our library manager tsm instance.  We are still on v5.5,
but
> > I've seen nothing that would indicate that v6+ is any different.
>
> Rick -
>
> Have you tried Audit Library as part of the change procedure?  It
> should perform a reconciliation with the reality of the library,
> using the same functionality that occurs when TSM restarts and
> checks the library.
>
>    Richard Sims

This is interesting discussion.

Here's my story . . .

Our 3584 libraries started out witn 3 frames.  They are now
at 8 frames. Sometimes a slot-only frame was added, other times
a frame with slots+drives.  The first time we added a frame I
took the drives offline while IBM worked, but didn't bounce the
library manager. I loaded up the new frame with new tapes
assigned to the Logical Lib. Running checkin would not see the
new tapes.   I also brought the new drives
in the new frame into AIX, created TSM drives, but failed on the
paths.   Now, it was a long time ago
and I don't exactly remember, but I believe I did an audit
(but maybe I didn't).  I also didn't know about "show slots" and
"show libr" cmds.    I opened a case with support and was
told I needed to bounce the library manager.   That worked, all was good.
Since then after making any physical change I bounce the library manager.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.