ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments

2012-01-12 21:54:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 02:47:08 +0000
I too find the VE-book to be terminology-challenged.

1) Why does the doc show a "vstorage backup server (the proxy) " and also a "DP
for VMWare Vcenter Plug-in Server".
Is there a requirement for these to be 2 different machines? And if so why?

2) VE supposedly takes advantage of the VMWare API to do block-level
incrementals, I get that.  When you do fulls, is there any performance
improvement over the old VCB full backup? Is it still just a case of hauling
the entire vmdk file across the network?

3) VDR is able to dedup the fulls.  Is VE able to do that, or is the only dedup
capability post-process on the TSM storage pool side?

4) The comments here imply you guys see the need for a physical proxy/backup
server; the doc says it can be a VM.  What up wid dat?
What are the cases where you would use a VM as the proxy?

Thanks for any insight!

Wanda