ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Storage pool using scratch volumes instead of empty volumes

2011-12-22 04:29:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Storage pool using scratch volumes instead of empty volumes
From: "Copper, Steve" <scopper AT WESTERNPOWER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:23:18 -0000
Good morning.

I was hoping someone can help me with the following:-

TSM Server version 6.1.4.1
Host AIX, version 5.3 TL12

Clients back their data up initially to my EXODISKPOOL, this is then
migrated to my primary storage pool EXOSATAPOOL. When this migration is
happening I am seeing messages in the activity log as per below.

12/21/11   22:35:12      ANR1340I Scratch volume
/sata_vol_19/00024561.BFS is now defined in storage pool EXOSATAPOOL.
(SESSION: 21749, PROCESS: 721)

My question is: Why is this migration process creating scratch volumes
in my filesystems when I have 666 (not made up,current figure!) empty
volumes assigned to the storage pool? This has only recently started
happening - before it would only create scratch volumes when it had run
out of Empty volumes.

My first thoughts are it's to do with the Max Scratch Vols setting for
the storage pool being set to 999 so it will try and create scratch
volumes before it uses the Empty assigned volumes? (details below) But
then this value hasn't changed recently so it's probably not going to be
that.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Snip of "q vol stgpool=exosatapool" and grep'd for Empty

/sata_vol_71/sata5058.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5059.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5060.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5061.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5062.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5063.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5064.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5065.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5066.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5067.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5068.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5069.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5070.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5071.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5072.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5073.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty
/sata_vol_71/sata5074.d-     EXOSATAPOOL     SATACLASS         20.0 G
0.0      Empty

ANS8000I Server command: 'q stg exosatapool f=d'

                   Storage Pool Name: EXOSATAPOOL
                   Storage Pool Type: Primary
                   Device Class Name: SATACLASS
                  Estimated Capacity: 83,499 G
                  Space Trigger Util: 67.9
                            Pct Util: 79.1
                            Pct Migr: 79.1
                         Pct Logical: 99.7
                        High Mig Pct: 90
                         Low Mig Pct: 70
                     Migration Delay: 0
                  Migration Continue: Yes
                 Migration Processes: 1
               Reclamation Processes: 2
                   Next Storage Pool:
                Reclaim Storage Pool:
              Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                              Access: Read/Write
                   Overflow Location:
               Cache Migrated Files?:
                          Collocate?: No
               Reclamation Threshold: 100
           Offsite Reclamation Limit:
     Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 999
      Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 81
       Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 4 Day(s)
              Migration in Progress?: No
                Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
    Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
            Reclamation in Progress?: No
      Last Update by (administrator): OPERATOR
               Last Update Date/Time: 12/22/11   05:27:17
            Storage Pool Data Format: Native
                Copy Storage Pool(s):
                 Active Data Pool(s):
             Continue Copy on Error?: Yes
                            CRC Data: No
                    Reclamation Type: Threshold
         Overwrite Data when Deleted:
                   Deduplicate Data?: No
Processes For Identifying Duplicates:
           Duplicate Data Not Stored:

Western Power Distribution (South West) plc / Western Power Distribution (South
Wales) plc / Western Power Distribution (East Midlands) plc  / Western Power
Distribution (West Midlands) plc
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 2366894 (South West) / 2366985 (South Wales) / 2366923 (East
Midlands) / 3600574 (West Midlands)

Registered Office: Avonbank, Feeder Road, Bristol, BS2 0TB

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster AT
westernpower.co DOT uk