ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Migration Related

2011-12-03 22:27:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Migration Related
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:16:32 +1300
On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 22:50 -0800, venkatb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a TSM 5.2 running on AIX, IBM TS3500 library With 6 LTO-1 drives
> connected to it. the library capacity is 253 tapes.
>
> Now we want to move to Latest TSM Version With Latest Library with LTO5 Drives
>
> Once the new setup is up and running, i want to migrate the DB to latest
> version, and also move all my data from LTO1 Cartridges to LTO5 Cat rides.
>
> so that i can crash all my LTO1 Tapes (Around 1500),
>

> 1) Can some pls suggest how i can do this ?
>
> 2) How to know the size of total data in tapes since day 1 ?
>
> 3)is these steps are correct ?
>       first i will define a disk pool,
>       then move data from the LTO1 to diskpool
>       then install new version, migrate DB,
>       the move data from diskpool to new LTO5 pool
>
> 4)Before Migrating i want to delete some data from the tapes ex: all data of
> node1 before 2009 is this possible ?
>
> 5) Usually when stgpool out of space we cheeck out 100% full tapes from lib
> and check in free tape and assign to stgpool, since last    5years almost
> 1500 full tapes are in boxes, when some restoration comes, TSM will ask for
> check in the required volumes, and we check in, once finishes we removes,
> during the migration check-in check-out task will become difficult, How can i
> shorten this procedure
>
> 6)usually LTO5 media box shows that 3TB (2:1) compression, whether TSM uses
> this compression ratio ?

It sounds like you have a fairly lengthy list of items to address there,
not least being on such an old version of TSM but also how you are
managing your storage.  In my opinion, you need someone to come and
visit you and assess your environment then come up with a plan of action
that will get you to where you need to be.  A local business partner
that knows what they are doing will be able to do that and give you a
good idea (and price) for the hardware you actually need rather than
some sales pitch.

You might be able to upgrade the existing 3584, adding new drives and
partitioning, depending on the support status.  I suspect you will need
at least a new server for TSM, and might want to select what you're
doing about platform choice etc while thinking about how to migrate
across.