ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Mac OSX 10.7 Lion backup to V5.5 server

2011-11-29 12:35:21
Subject: [ADSM-L] Mac OSX 10.7 Lion backup to V5.5 server
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:32:22 -0600
This is more of an interoperability issue than a problem within the new
TSM 6.3 Mac client. Mac OSX 10.7 "Lion" is supported only with the V6.3
client. The issue is that two of our three servers are still running
V5.5. Trillions of bits have been devoted on this list to issues of
migrating TSM servers from V5 to V6 - it is not easy, no matter which
strategy you use. (Ours was to buy a new computer to run V6.)

The time required to migrate TSM servers to V6 should not matter to our
Mac user base, which is acquiring Lion-based Macs in large numbers right
now. You can't buy a new Mac with anything else. When I discover them
backing up to our old V5.5 servers, I am facing a prospect of
immediately moving them to our new V6.2 server - and also forcing them
to update their client to V6.3. This is more cats than I care to herd
around at once - literally.

What has been the experience so far running V6.3 clients on a V5.5
server? Is this something we need to actively prevent?

               Academic Computing & Communications Center
======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====