ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Stupid question about TSM server-side dedup

2011-11-22 10:22:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Stupid question about TSM server-side dedup
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:13:46 -0500
On 11/21/2011 11:40 PM, Prather, Wanda wrote:

So here's the question.  NDMP backups come into the filepool and
identify duplicates is running.  But because of those long retention
times, all the volumes in the filepool are FULL, but 0% reclaimable,
and they will continue to be that way for 6 months, as no dumps will
expire until then.  Since the dedup occurs as part of reclaim, and
the volumes won't reclaim -how do we "prime the pump" and get this
data to dedup?  Should we do a few MOVE DATAs to get the volumes
partially empty?

Would RECLAIMSTGPOOL help you here?

Original usecase was a disk stgpool to permit those with a single
drive to put the data somewhere whilst reclaiming, and the reclaimstg
would then eventually drain back to the primary stgpool.

But you might have the NDMP data filter into a pool in which you force
reclamation of _everything_, and have it debouche into another stg.  I
know that dedupe is per-pool, but I seem to recall that it works to
move from a dedupe pool to another dedupe pool?

- Allen S. Rout