ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] External Disk Unit and TSM Deduplication

2011-11-15 13:26:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] External Disk Unit and TSM Deduplication
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:16:33 +0000
Alper

I've been giving a bit of thought to this myself recently, although it's
more of an academic exercise since we're not in the market for a new
library at the moment.

Some things you may want to consider:

Do you (now or in the future) have a requirement for LAN-free backup? I
would expect this to be significantly harder with a FILE device class
compared to a physical/virtual tape library solution.

Are you considering switching to a capacity-based TSM license model? If so
then I've been told that it's the volume of primary storage after TSM
de-dupe but before hardware-level de-dupe/compression that counts, which
may incline you more towards the disk-based solution.

Either way I'd be interested to hear what you decide.

Regards
Neil Schofield
Technical Leader
Data Centre Services Engineering Team
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Spotted a leak?
If you spot a leak please report it immediately. Call us on 0800 57 3553 or go
to http://www.yorkshirewater.com/leaks

Get a free water saving pack
Don't forget to request your free water and energy saving pack, it could save
you money on your utility bills and help you conserve water.
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/savewater

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject to the
legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House, Halifax Road, Bradford, BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682