ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tape or NFS? (DataDomain specifically)

2011-11-15 07:54:13
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tape or NFS? (DataDomain specifically)
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:45:17 -0600
We've been told by consultants (these particular consultants shouldn't throw
stones) that DataDomain customers running TSM are far happier running NFS than
VTL, because DDRs are built primarily as file servers and the VTL function is
an add-on.

I can see the financial motive for staying with NFS (those VTL licenses aren't
cheap!), but I'm skeptical about the implication that there's a functional or
performance advantage to using NFS over VTL for a TSM server, in our case on
AIX.

Would anyone who's run both or chosen NFS care to comment? How much does it
depend on your infrastructure or your needs for LAN-free?

Thanks,
Nick