ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Dev Class type FILE with multiple directories

2011-11-11 15:38:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Dev Class type FILE with multiple directories
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:32:21 -0500
Here is an excerpt from a TSM-Data Domain best practiced doc from EMC.

"? ?directory=/tsm/ddr/tsm_dir1,/tsm/ddr/tsm_dir2, /tsm/ddr/tsm_dir3?
This will allow the TSM server to round robin incoming data streams over
each network link. There is
no configuration control over path preferences, and in the event the link
of a given path is not available,
TSM will skip that path and open the next data stream on the next
available path."

The context for this was to mount different directories over different
network links to balance the link utilization.
It indicates it is round robin, but I don't know how authoritative this
is.  I couldn't find any information about it in the TSM manuals although
my link utilization is even, which would confirm that it is round-robin.

You could remove the full directories from the device class definition.
This won't prevent reading volumes already created, it will only prevent
new scratch volumes from being created there. Then you can add it back in
later as the data expires and space clears up.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
11/11/2011 03:00 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Dev Class type FILE with multiple directories

If you have a dev class of type FILE with multiple directories, how does
TSM determine which dir to create a new volumes in?

I've checked everywhere I can think of and the most I can find is comments
that TSM is free to  pick any dir to create a new scratch vol in. Assuming
lots of free space in multiple directories specified for one dev class
type file,  how does TSM pick which dir to create a file dev in?

What I'm interested in is one of those "what if" questions.  If you have a
file dev class (NFS) on a dedup box and its getting full.  So you purchase
a new box, set it up, and add it to the devclass as an extra directory.
You now have two directories.  If one is full TSM will use the other, but
if both have freespace I'm curious how TSM decides which to use.

Just curious . . .

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.