ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] disk availability in VTL

2011-10-29 21:35:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] disk availability in VTL
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 02:26:51 +0100
On 29 okt. 2011, at 11:55, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the recommended method for disk availability in VTLs? Do IBM VTLs
> support host-based mirroring, I mean something like LVM in VTL layer, not
> the "copy services" between disk subsystems?

Hi,

AFAIK there are two types of VTLs. The first pretends to be a tape drove
(that's what the T in VTL stands for after all). and no LVM mirroring is
possible on tapes (but TSM copypools are!). The other is basically nothing more
or less than a NFS/CIFS server. ANd I know of no host based mirroring for NFS
mounted volumes.

Now, I believe that the Protectier falls into the true VTL category.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl