ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Can you restore a SystemState backup when you have the HP OpenView problem?

2011-10-28 09:44:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Can you restore a SystemState backup when you have the HP OpenView problem?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:35:30 -0400
Hi Lindsay,

1. The ANS1417W messages indicate that the system state files named in
those messages are being backed up as part of the drive they reside on,
which is a "safety net" we built into TSM to help ensure a viable system
state backup; but they are not a "solution". The solution is to take the
actions described in the flash
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21462430. The actions are
also described in the "local fix" section of the APAR text.

2. The RC 12 is an indication that some significant error occurred during
the backup operation. It might be due to a problem in the system state
backup, or it might be due to some other problem occurring during a
different part of the backup. The dsmsched.log and dsmerror.log files
should be reviewed carefully to find out what is driving the RC 12. It is
not due to the ANS1417W messages. Without knowing the cause, I would have
to assume the backup is not good until proven otherwise. If indeed the
error occurs during system state backup, then the system state backup is
NOT good.

3. If the backup is failing during system state backup, but the system
state backup indicates a completion date, then a PMR should be opened with
IBM TSM support to assist in better understanding the reason.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2011-10-27
21:28:34:

> From: Lindsay Morris <lindsay AT TSMWORKS DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
> Date: 2011-10-27 21:30
> Subject: Can you restore a SystemState backup when you have the HP
> OpenView problem?
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> Hi, all.
> I have a customer running the 6.2.2.2 client on Windows boxes that have
HP
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC72446
> .)
>
> As the APAR says, they see a lot of dsmsched.log messages like this:
>   ANS1417W Protected system state file <filename> is backed up to the
drive
> file space, not system state file space
> And they could ignore those.  But then the backup says it fails with
RC=12.