ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data change rate

2011-10-12 09:47:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data change rate
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:41:35 -0400
On 10/12/2011 08:53 AM, Ehresman,David E. wrote:

Is there any way from the server side to get an estimate of overall
client data change rate?

I'm doing this, crudely, right now as I try to characterize our
hosting customers behavior, to identify outliers.

Here's what I'm doing:

1: sum "Yesterday's" sessions, per-node.  This is from the actlogs.

2: total filespace capacity, per-node.

3: Divide 1 by 2.

4: Discard outliers.  I have some zeroes, and I have some 100+ %: the
   latter tend to be database backups and erroenous reads on capacity
   (like a nas filespace which is technically terabytes large, but
   looks small on a 'q filespace').

5: Do (elementary) statistics on the results.

- Allen S. Rout