ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] First Solaris node

2011-10-11 16:28:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] First Solaris node
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:50:26 -0400
Welcome to the world of mixed operating systems......

Don't take this the wrong way but what does the OS have to do with things
like compressability?  Compressability is based on your data.  For
instance, I have dozens of Notes/Domino servers that are both Solaris AND
Windows.  Domino databases don't compress well or at all, so I don't.  I
have hundreds of Windows servers that don't compress well due to the
application/data and then I have hundreds that compress very well....again
based on the data/application.

I don't have any CLOPTSET for any Solaris or Linux servers.  They usually
don't have problems with files being locked/exclusive access.  But you may
be running an application that does.  As to what you may want to exclude
from backups, that depends on how the server is setup and the application
running on it.  Most of my non-Domino Solaris servers run Oracle and
therefore backup their databases using the TDP so the directories with the
actual Oracle database are excluded.

It really is all about knowing your data.