ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Check signals on Power vs. x86...

2011-10-07 15:28:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Check signals on Power vs. x86...
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 14:24:51 -0500
Must not have been clear.  Sorry about that.  For every 1 proc or core
of Power you would need 4 or more of x86 (even at their best level).  I
have seen the numbers from Intel comparing Newer x86 processors to
Power6 and they are just below the Power 6 (using 2x's the number of
cores).  The problem is, You can get Power7 cheaper than Power6, and get
twice the performance.  So, the cost might be cheaper per proc on x86,
but the performance isn't half as good.  So, you wind up having to buy 4
times the number of processors, which means you pay more in the long run
(requires more servers, LAN ports, Electrical Power, cooling, more
complex management, etc. etc.).  The advantages with Power are manifold,
especially with Power7.

There are still some who think that you can use cheap intel hardware and
get the same or better price/performance of a current Power box, but
what you get is unreliable hardware.  I've been a Linux guy for a long
time, and for lighter loads (web servers, file servers, app servers and
small to midrange DB servers) Linux is a much cheaper option.  However,
for heavy lifting, (large Oracle or DB2 dbs, something like TSM, etc.)
AIX is still the better option.  I can run a single TSM instance on
AIX/Power long after Intel boxes have had to complicate their lives with
multiple TSM servers and Library managers, etc.

My challenge to folks is to price it out for yourselves.  We have
purchased smaller Power7 Servers for around 12K (gets us 8 cores of
Power7, 6 HBAs or 3 dual port HBAs, 16GB RAM, etc).  An equally powered
Intel box (with half the performance) is about 15K.

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!