ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] How to migrate 3592-E05 formatted tapes to 3592-E06 format

2011-10-04 11:13:32
Subject: [ADSM-L] How to migrate 3592-E05 formatted tapes to 3592-E06 format
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 10:50:05 -0400
We are buying some 3592-E06 drives to replace the 3592-E05 drives in our 3584
tape libraries. The goal is to store more TB on the cartridges we already have.
The 3592-E06 drives can read the E05 format, but they will write in E05 format
too unless the tapes are re-formatted in the E06 format. So, we are wondering
how best to migrate the E05 formatted tapes to the E06 format.

When we add the E06 drives we will remove the E05 drives.

Is this just a matter of; 1) reclaim the E05 tapes, 2) checkout the scratch
tapes returned from reclamation, 3) 'label libv overwrite=yes' the just
checked-out tapes.

Or, is there a simpler, more efficient way to do this? Would new storage pools
help in the transition?

With my thanks,
Keith Arbogast