ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] Migrate TSM server ( Win to Linux)

2011-10-03 12:07:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] Migrate TSM server ( Win to Linux)
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 12:03:37 -0400
I think the best way to do this is the library manager, client method that
was mentioned.  The requirement is that you will need to be able to share
the drives between the hosts. Also, this should take the least amount of
"swing" space since you mentioned your library is almost at capacity.

- Make the linux TSM server the new library manager and the windows TSM as
the library client
It will be a variation on the process described here:
http://www.tsmadmin.com/2006/03/how-to-setup-library-manager-instance.html
- Import/Export each node over the network and delete from the windows TSM
one at a time.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
10/03/2011 01:09 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] Migrate TSM server ( Win to Linux)

The simple answer is no.

You cant backup/restore the database(which contains all information)
between Windows and Linux. That's why you need to do the import/export,
you need to import the information stored in your TSM database to a new
empty database on the Linux machine.

Dont know what kind of library you have, but cant you partition it and
create a secondary logical library for your Linux server?

You could also setup a library manager/library client configuration so
that your new TSM server has access to the library, and then just switch
the library manager to the new TSM server as soon as you've done the
export/import step.

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sparrman