ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Getting unix permissions back from TSM

2011-09-16 01:21:01
Subject: [ADSM-L] Getting unix permissions back from TSM
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:14:49 -0400
Hi All

One of my accounts has just had a unix admin tried to run something
like

chown -R something:something /home/fred/*

but he had an extra space in there and ran it from the root directory

chown -R something:something /home/fred/ *

This has destroyed the ownership of the operating system binaries and
trashed the system.  Worse it was done using a distributed tool, so
quite a number of AIX lpars are affected including the TSM server.

Once we get the TSM Server back up, is there any way to restore just
the file permissions without restoring the data?  I can't think of a
way.  Maybe there is a testflag to do this?  Even a listing of the file
and permissions for all active files would be enough to be able to fix
the problem.

TSM Server 5.5 AIX 5.3

Thanks

Steve