ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fwd: Lokpal: 48 hours to be heard!

2011-09-06 09:07:30
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fwd: Lokpal: 48 hours to be heard!
From: Yuvaraja Shivarama <yuvaraja.deepti AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 18:32:13 +0530
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ricken Patel - Avaaz.org <avaaz AT avaaz DOT org>
Date: Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Subject: Lokpal: 48 hours to be heard!
To: "yuvaraja.deepti AT gmail DOT com" <yuvaraja.deepti AT gmail DOT com>

**
To ensure you receive emails like this, add Avaaz to your contacts
(how?)<http://avaazimages.s3.amazonaws.com/adding%20contacts%20gif.gif>.
Or, click here to
unsubscribe<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=1251545064&email=yuvaraja.deepti
 AT gmail DOT com&b=1402&v=10157&lang=en>
.
Dear friends across India,

  <http://www.avaaz.org/en/lokpal_public_consultation/?cl=1251545064&v=10157>The
government has launched a public consultation asking for views on the Lokpal
bill. *We have 48 hours left to flood it with messages* urging the standing
committee *to draft a strong anti-corruption bill* -- act now and spread the
word!

[image: Send a
message!]<http://www.avaaz.org/en/lokpal_public_consultation/?cl=1251545064&v=10157>
We have just *48 hours to flood the Lokpal public consultation* and ensure
politicians draft an effective anti-corruption bill.

Last week Parliament agreed to support a strong Lokpal. It’s now up to the
standing committee to draft the law. *The government has asked for our views
– let’s flood it with messages and push them to include all of our demands.*

It may be our last chance to have our voices heard. This is now down to the
wire. *Click below to send a direct message* to the standing committee
urging them to deliver an ambitious anti-corruption bill, and *forward this
email to everyone:*

http://www.avaaz.org/en/lokpal_public_consultation/?vl<http://www.avaaz.org/en/lokpal_public_consultation/?cl=1251545064&v=10157>

Over the last four months we have bombarded politicians with hundreds of
thousands of emails, faxes and phone calls, we have run opinion polls, put
up billboards across Delhi, and joined nationwide marches urging politicians
to stand with the people and pass a bill that will truly root out
corruption.

Anna Hazare's arrest and second fast provoked massive public outrage and
forced *Parliament to unanimously pass a bold resolution accepting key civil
society demands*, like the inclusion of a Citizen's charter and the
establishment of Lokayukta across all states.

Now we have 48 hours to make sure that the draft is ours. *Send an urgent
message* to all standing committee members telling them we‘ll only accept a
comprehensive Lokpal bill, and spread the word.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/lokpal_public_consultation/?vl<http://www.avaaz.org/en/lokpal_public_consultation/?cl=1251545064&v=10157>

As recent events across the world show, even the most powerful governments
have no choice but to respond to citizens' legitimate demands when these
come together peacefully and persevere in their struggle. Last year, Avaaz
members in Brazil forced a reluctant Parliament to pass unprecedented
anti-corruption legislation -- but it took months of bold, sustained actions
to achieve it. Here the battle is far from over, and the government and
other powerful interests will attempt every trick in the book to weaken or
kill this bill. Let’s show we will show up at every moment to win this bill
and strengthen our democracy!

With hope and determination,

Ricken, Shibayan, Luis, Alice, Alex, Giulia and the entire Avaaz team.

SOURCES:

Lok Sabha agrees to Anna's demands, passes Lokpal resolution, Times of
India:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Lok-Sabha-agrees-to-Annas-demands-passes-Lokpal-resolution/articleshow/9759752.cms

Parliament standing committee invites suggestion on Lokpal Bill
http://english.samaylive.com/nation-news/676492206/parliament-standing-committee-invites-suggestion-on-lokpal-bill.html

Basic Principles of Jan Lokpal Bill
http://www.lokpalbillconsultation.org/docs/basic-principles-lokpal-bill.pdf

  *Support the Avaaz Community!*  We're entirely funded by donations and
receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team
ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way.  [image: Donate to
Avaaz] <https://secure.avaaz.org/en/donate_to_avaaz/?cl=1251545064&v=10157>

------------------------------
*
Avaaz.org is a 9-million-person global campaign network* that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 13
countries on 4 continents and operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here<http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer>,
or follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz> or
Twitter<http://twitter.com/Avaaz>
.

This message was sent to yuvaraja.deepti AT gmail DOT com. To change your email
address, language, or other information, contact us via this
form<http://avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer>.
To unsubscribe, send an email to unsubscribe AT avaaz DOT org or click
here<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=1251545064&email=yuvaraja.deepti
AT gmail DOT com&b=1402&v=10157&lang=en>
.

To contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to us
at www.avaaz.org/en/contact <http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact?footer> or call
us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).