ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Renaming a Windows node - where does it get the nodename if no nodename statement?

2011-08-22 12:13:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] Renaming a Windows node - where does it get the nodename if no nodename statement?
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:07:09 -0400
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that if a
Windows node does NOT have a NODENAME statement in it's dsm.opt, it simply
asks the OS for the hostname and uses that.  This value is also used for
the filespace names.

So, if this Windows node has been backing up without a NODENAME statement
and then the hostname is changed,  shouldn't this also change the nodename
so when the node attempts to connect to the TSM server it will use the new
hostname?

Or does the scheduling process use the registry keys, not caring about the
hostname changed?

What is the sequence of checking for nodename statements, vs just using
the hostname and/or registry key?

This issue is causing waaayyy to much activity and inquires for a Monday!

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services