ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup specific folder only

2011-07-18 10:59:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup specific folder only
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:54:11 -0600
Indeed just using the EXCLUDE as I specified will grab the directory tree
still. It's a longer story, but the Reader's Digest version is that doing so
ensure's the TSM BA client GUI can drill down to any given directory to find
files you may have backed up.

You can't use EXCLUDE.DIR on the "E:\" directory, otherwise you won't get
the Oracle directory either for the reasons I specified previously.

You could use the EXCLUDE.DIR on all the other directories in E: as
suggested by Gary, but then (also as he suggested) you'll have more
administrative overhead as you need to check periodically to ensure that all
the dirctories in the E: drive are still being excluded - if someone adds a
dir to the E: drive afterwards without telling you, it'll get backed up.

Andy's suggestion for doing a separate schedule that targets the directory
is actually pretty good, you'd get only the directory you want and don't
risk someone doing something on the server to inadvertently cause you to
start backing up unwanted data.  However then you're maintaining a separate
schedule (not really a big deal).

As far as fear of the DB growing, I would ask you this - do you really have
that many subdirectories in the Oracle dir that you're going to see any kind
of noticable db growth as a result?  Even if you have a hundred or a few
hundred other directories there, it is not going to impact your db in any
way that you could ever notice.  If you had thousands of subdirs in there,
then yes, I might be a bit concerned, though I'd be less concerned about the
size of the db growth and more  concerned about how long it takes to
traverse the directories unnecessarily.   In general, though, I've found
that it hasn't been any kind of a super negative impact.

I would also re-ask the question - are you really, really sure you don't
want to backup anything else on this server, especially the OS?  As I
mentioned previously, in most TSM installations, the size difference that
backing up the rest of the data/OS will make to the total storage is small,
and having the ability to restore the odd file here or there if someone
mucks up is worth it's weight in gold....

Paul