ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment

2011-06-13 15:21:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:08:24 -0400
Just a reminder also, that "Encryption" on a 3584/3500 library is
another Feature Code for the library - to be purchased.

David Longo

>>> Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM> 6/13/2011 2:51 PM >>>
Using a TKLM server you can point your Library to the IP address of the
server, and it will handle the keys, so that even your TSM DB backup
tape is encrypted.
(as some have asked this as well):
You do have to tell the Library where the Encryption Key servers are,
and then modify the Logical library's Encryption policy.  We've had one
instance where we had to reconfigure the logical library after a
firmware update (to support LTO4s).

>From all I've seen the performance hit isn't noticeable, I think the
compression affects it more, and that's very minimal if any.

As far as whether its needed or not, the answer is yes, as Wanda said,
if you are in our case and have regulatory requirements.  Even without
them it's a good idea.  Gives the execs a warm and fuzzy about trade
secrets, customer data, etc. etc.  We now have it running at three
sites, and so far so good.  You just have to have hardware drives that
support that kind of encryption.

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr., RHCE, CNE, CDE
John 3:16!