ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment

2011-06-12 03:41:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 09:39:21 +0200
Hi,

On 12 jun 2011, at 05:53, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> Hi,
> Tape volumes canned be accessed if there is no TSM database. If happens,

this is not exactly true. The tapes can be accessed. IBM just claims that it's
hard/impossible to make sense of the data. That may or may not be true. There
are some open source tools that do exactly that..

> restoring the database and gaining access to data seem to be very difficult
> (at least for me ;) ). Do you think encryption feature of tape drives has
> any value in TSM environments?

Depending on your level op paranoia, and wether or not your shipping tapes
off-site frequently.... yes.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post