ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Restored a W2K8

2011-05-13 10:06:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Restored a W2K8
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:56:52 -0400
The method described here:

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21164812

is one that has been in common use for a number of years.

Starting with TSM 6.2.2, TSM now supports the use of ASR to restore Windows
2008 systems. While this is a relatively new enhancement, I would recommend
trying it. The 6.2.2 client manual includes the steps for preparing the CD
with WinPE and TSM software for the restore operation.

You should use WinPE 3.1, which consists of installing the AIK for Windows
7 (WinPE 3.0), then applying the "supplemental" package for Windows 7 and
Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (which brings the WinPE version to 3.1).

WinPE 3.0:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34

Supplemental package that brings WinPE to 3.1 (must be installed on top of
WinPE 3.0 using the XCOPY command described in the link):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0AEE2B4B-494B-4ADC-B174-33BC62F02C5D

Other notes:

* If your system uses the Extended Firmware Interface (EFI) instead of
BIOS, you will not be able to use ASR, as TSM does not yet support this
restore method with EFI machines.

* Make sure your TSM client software version is very current: client
version 6.1.4.2 or 6.2.3.0 if you use a TSM server version 5.5, 6.1 or 6.2;
or client version 5.5.3.3 if you use TSM server version 5.4.

* If you plan to use the first article I cited above (DCF 1164812) and you
are using TSM 6.2.2 or TSM 6.2.3, make sure to code the following in your
dsm.opt file when creating the system state backup:

   TESTFLAGS SKIPVSSASR

This avoids the problem described by IC74755 (a fix for this APAR should
appear soon, which will avoid the need to use the test flag).

* When restoring in a VMware environment, make sure that target VMware host
system is at the same or higher version of VMware than the source VMware
host.

* Make sure that the target hardware configuration (whether physical or
virtual) matches the source hardware configuration as closely as possible.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2011-05-13
09:27:09: