ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Recovery log is pinning since upgrade to 5.5.5.0 code

2011-05-12 11:41:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Recovery log is pinning since upgrade to 5.5.5.0 code
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:22:38 -0400
No . . . It's completely possible for the the log in normal mode to be
pinned and hit 100%.  My understanding is that the log contains ALL
transactions.  It's the checkpoint/rollback for info for the db.  An open
tran (uncommitted?) pins the log.     We get them every once in a while
when some server sends a big file very slowly - usually a remote site, but
sometimes a local with something set wrong (my favorite is the half-duplex
ethernet connection which runs at 50k/s).  But it's not just the log being
pinned by a long running tran that is a concern, it's also the load on the
TSM server for all the other backups that are running and their
transactions that determine how quickly a pinned log fills up.

Here is the log consumption for the past day for six of our tsm servers:
  tsm1   3gb
  tsm2   2gb
  tsm3   8gb
  tsm4  10gb
  tsm5   4gb
  tsm6   6gb

They all have 12gb of log space.

Back a few years ago, tsm1 was consuming over 20gb per day and we had tons
of logpin problems, one time resulting in the log filling completely. This
was when I put in the monitoring with the auto logpin cancel.    It was
one of the many indications that we needed more instances.  It's also why
we have a daily report of slow and long running backups so we can identify
these problem servers.

Rick