ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] licensing question

2011-05-11 11:14:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] licensing question
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:57:24 -0400
-----David Tyree wrote: -----

>                We are thinking about adding an additional TSM server
>to our environment to use for an offsite DR.  Basically we would
>duplicate our onsite data to the new offsite TSM server.
>                How would we go about licensing for the additional
>server? Or does it matter?

There doesn't seem to be any source for authoritative answers to most
questions about TSM licensing. However, my best guess is as follows:

You will need value units for the system hosting the new offsite server,
unless you already have the system licensed for some reason. You will
need the same number of value units you would need if you going to
install TSM client software on the same hardware and have it send
backups to an existing TSM server.

You will not need any additional value units for the client systems
that have backups stored on one TSM server now and will have backups
stored on two TSM servers in the future.