ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.2 Admin Center and IE 7.

2011-05-04 07:59:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.2 Admin Center and IE 7.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:47:13 -0400
The restrictions cited in the Technote serve as further evidence that Java is a
failure and liability as a software execution environment.  Every package we
come upon that employs Java imposes severe restrictions within which it will
function, with specific Java requirements that can make it impossible to
implement multiple Java-based applications in the same computer because of
their conflicting requirements.  Past postings in the ADSM-L archives express
customer dissatisfaction in dealing with Java.  The fragmentation and
disparities in Java make it an IT liability.

IBM obviously went to Java so as to have a develop-once approach for writing
software for multiple platforms.  But while Java is a convenience for
developers, it is perpetually problematic for customers.  As a software
developer, I view Java as a fad which has fallen flat, creating more problems
than it solves, getting worse rather than better over time.

    Richard Sims