ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: Re: Ang: Copypool storage advice

2011-04-08 02:50:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: Ang: Copypool storage advice
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 07:47:39 +0200
Hi Paul

So I assume you dont have any database dumps or TDP's from for example SQL,
DB2, Oracle, Exchange or Domino, everthing is just simple file backups?

In that case, there's probably only 2 options to reduce the amount of copypool
tapes:

a) Divide your servers into 2 groups, one with a large incremental daily change
and one group with more static servers and direct them to two different
copypools.

b) Like I said in my previous message, lower your reclamation threshold to
around 30%, let the TSM server reduce the amount of tapes by completing the
operation. This option will however probably make you end up in the same
situation again in the future.

The reason you have so many copypool tapes with a high pct reclaim is due to
the large amount of change in your environment leading to data being expired on
your copypool tapes. How does your primary pool look like? Are you seeing the
same issue there with a large number of tapes having a high percentage of
change?

Are you having more copypool tapes than nodes?

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman