ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Problem adding random access storage pool volumes

2011-04-07 09:38:25
Subject: [ADSM-L] Problem adding random access storage pool volumes
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:25:04 -0400
We have a TSM 5.5.4.0 server running under mainframe Linux. The server has
two random access disk storage pools with a total of 726 volumes. Most of
the volumes are 2 GB. A few are smaller to fit in space left over after
populating file systems with as many 2 GB volumes as possible. Yesterday we
attempted to add 233 more volumes to one of the pools. We had added 214
when a volume formatting process failed. Shortly after that we starting
seeing a wide range of errors. Reclamation processes failed. The server
refused TCP/IP connection requests from both nodes and administrative
command line clients. Sessions for scheduled backups (with prompt mode
scheduling) hung. The activity log reported that message texts were
unavailable for a variety of message numbers. Many header fields in query
output contained something like 'HEADER NOT AVAILABLE'. The server was
unable to write accounting records. I restarted the server, and the
symptoms came back within minutes after the restart. I removed the new
volumes and restarted the server again. The server then behaved normally.

Am I correct in suspecting that the problem had to do with the number
of storage pool volumes, and that I will be able to enlarge the storage
pool safely if I replace existing 2 GB volumes with volumes in the 10
to 20 GB range, and use the same size for new volumes?