ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM on Exadata

2011-04-04 18:24:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM on Exadata
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:18:38 -0500
We're wrestling with this same question now.

Our Oracle guys know, when they say "media server," in our environment, they
really mean "TSM server," using an IP connection.

Given the size of our projected Oracle DB, 7 TB, we're encouraging them to have
rman write directly to a backup appliance like a DataDomain or an HP D2D
appliance. Both have deduplicating functions, and both support NFS mounts over
1 GB or even 10 GB connections. That's not as fast as Infiniband, apparently,
but maybe it's enough. The Oracle reps are pooh-poohing using NFS, especially
for restores, but since they won't let us put fiber interfaces into their
hardware, it's either NFS or write all the data twice: once to the media
server, and once to the media itself.

Since they need enough storage to fill a good sides storage appliance all by
themselves, why inject into it a server whose function is to manage sharing
resources among clients? TSM is overkill in this situation, unless you have a
pathological hatred of NFS.

Nick