ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tsm v6 migration question

2011-03-23 15:44:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tsm v6 migration question
From: Anders Räntilä <Anders AT RANTILA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:43:15 +0100
My experience from the latest upgrades are that the database will

grow by 10% when upgrading from 5.5 to 6.2.2.2.

2 days ago upgraded a 5.5 server to 6.2.2.2 and this happened

with the database size:

*** ---> Q DB F=D    from TSM 5.5

Available     Assigned      Pct      Max.

    Space     Capacity      Util      Util

           (MB)

---------     --------     -----     -----

  120,000      120,00       74.2      74.2

This is 120GB*74.2% = 89GB used

*** After the upgrade to 6.2.2.2

                 Database Name: TSMDB1

Total Size of File System (MB): 737,233

    Space Used by Database(MB): 97,216

All the upgrades I've done during the last 6 months show the same pattern.

When TSM 6.1 was released IBM said the DB would grow approx. 3x (300%),

but that doesn't seem to be the case today.

Of course if you start adding features like dedup the DB will grow. I

have one installation that was 40GB in 5.5 and today is around 800GB.

This growth is mostly caused by dedup (add 1TB of DB disk and save 75TB

of stgpool disk....)

-Anders Räntilä

RÄNKAB - Räntilä Konsult AB

Klippingvägen 23

SE-196 32 Kungsängen

Sweden

Email: Anders AT Rantila DOT com <mailto:Anders AT Rantila DOT com>

Phone: +46 701 489 431