ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ADSM-L stopped for us at VCU

2011-03-15 19:14:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ADSM-L stopped for us at VCU
From: Peter Duempert <p.duempert AT TU-BS DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:13:06 +0100
Hi Zoltan,
   a reason for being cut off could be the
        hopcount
setting in the mail-delivery-process at VCU.

In mid 2010 I had a problem with another list and it turned out to be
a problem at my site with a hopcount=20. After an increase by 5, i.e.
hopcount=25, most of the problems vanished.

In a correspondance with the listowner and NOT using the listserver,
I received a mail-attachment containing the following 2 interesting lines:

        Failed to deliver to '<pwd AT mailvip.rz.tu-bs DOT de>'
        mail loop: too many hops (too many 'Received:' header fields)

After some research, i.e. counting "Received"-lines in mails coming
from various listservers, I found that listserver sites AS WELL AS
the mail-sender AND mail-receiving-sites had introduced
virus-checking for in- and outgoing mail, resulting in a notable increase
of "Received"-lines.

For my site, lifting the hopcount by 5 was sufficient to get things going
in my case, but I guess that another increase is needed in the future,
because I currently don't receive mail from ADSM-L which originated from
Prather Wanda.

Zoltan, please have a word with your people being in charge of
mail-matters, wether they can see something in their logs or just ask
MARIST-people wether they can find something in their logs.

Hope, my findings will be of some use,

Peter