ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Deduplication Question

2011-03-10 16:17:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Deduplication Question
From: Jim Neal <jrneal AT BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:15:53 -0800
Hi All,

                I am testing Deduplication on a Red Hat 5 , 64 Bit, X86
Linux Server, using TSM Server version 6.2.2.2.   I set up a storage pool
for Deduplication and using a file devclass.  When I try to back up a
windows client to the storage pool, I am getting an error that says
"ANR0525W - Server Media mount not possible".  However, when I back up to a
standard storage pool with a disk devclass, the same client backs up
perfectly and then the data can be migrated to the deduplicated storage
pool.  My questions are these:

1)      Can you back up a client directly to a deduplicated storage pool?
If so, how?

2)      What criteria should be used for the creation of volumes for a
deduplicated storage pool?

3)      Is there documentation that specifically says that you have to
migrate data to the deduplicated storage pool?

Any insight on these issues will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Jim Neal

Sr.  TSM Administrator

U.C. Berkeley Storage and Backup Group