ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 5 out of 9 aint bad

2011-03-04 10:34:56
Subject: [ADSM-L] 5 out of 9 aint bad
From: "Laks, Brian" <Blaks AT HEALTHPLAN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:32:18 -0500
I have 9 LTO-4 drives connected to our TSM server, only 5 of them work at any
time after upgrading to a new fiber card.

We have tried two different fiber cards (qlogic and emulex) and still only 5
drives.

We have Confirmed latest drivers and firmware with IBM support.  The old 2gig
fiber card still works with all 9 drives, but is considerably slower than 5
drives on an 4g card.

The new cards are both multi port cards, but only one port is being used.
Multipath drivers are not being used.  9 drives are zoned to one port.

IBM support believes it to be hardware since the old card works, so we
purchased a second card of different manufacture.  Now the problem exists on
two fiber cards of different manufacture so I'm real reluctant to think its a
hardware problem any more.

Interestingly, the 5 good drives vary.  I can unload the drivers and reload
everything and drives that were previously unavailable work while drives that
were working are then unavailable.  It seems kind of random.  All the dives
show up in the OS, and TSMDLST show them all as well.  I uninstalled old
drivers and reinstalled them exactly as per IBM support instructions, and
rebuilt the drive and library paths in tsm during each reload as per IBM
support guidelines.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  I'm absolutely baffled.  I'm thinking we
are going to have to zone 5 drives to one port and 4 drives to the other, but
the SAN admin type is reluctant since all 9 drives work with the original card.
 My guess is that somewhere in the drivers its smart enough to know that 9
LTO-4's to a single 4g port is silly in the first place.

Maybe someone wants 4 LTO-4's so this problem just goes away :)  The 5 drives
work with fewer problems and better throughput than the 9 drives on the old
card.

Thanks for reading, Have a great day.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown.This email
transmission may contain confidential information.This information is intended
only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if
addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the
intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance.