ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ULTRIUM4C but not 1.6TB

2011-02-18 06:41:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ULTRIUM4C but not 1.6TB
From: Wolfgang J Moeller <moeller AT GWDG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:38:42 +0100
A while ago, I had complained:

> Among the (currently) 1170 full ULTRIUM4C tapes around here,
> with a wide variety of data, I see anything between "526.1 G" and "6.1 T".
>
> What I don't like: 20 % of the tapes are shown with a capacity of < 800 MB,
> but only 3.5 % with 1.6 TB or more. This seemed to be different with LTO3 -
> unfortunately I didn't keep notes about the statistics back then.

After observing a new all-time-low of "454.1 G", I checked the drives involved,
and found that apparently all of the very-low-capacity LTO-4 cartridges
had been written on one specific drive, which is lately also issuing
"critical clean me" tape alerts like mad.

Guess its heads have been worn off for some time ...

Best regards,

        Wolfgang J. Moeller <moeller AT gwdg DOT de>

Tel. +49 551 201-1516 ... not representing ... GWDG, Goettingen, Germany