ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] How many disk volumes are too many?

2011-02-17 13:13:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] How many disk volumes are too many?
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:15:28 -0500
I am aware of the TSM design that says the more disk volumes you have, the
more it will spread out the I/O  for better performance.  I also realize a
lot of this doesn't really apply what with RAID-5, EMC SAN, multi-terabyte
storage, etc.

So, at what point does having lots of smaller volumes (for a disk LZ), not
give you any more benefit, I/O wise?

I have a 5.3TB SAN space on my new 6.2.2.0 server.  Originally, I started
formatting 200GB volumes then moved to 300GB, up to 25-volumes.

Now I am adding another 5.3TB space and was wondering if I should continue
with 300GB or jump to 500GB?

Simultaneous sessions should not be an issue since most of these backups
are Domino TDP and therefore single thread.  I don't think there is a peak
of more than 60-simultaneous sessions.

The TSM server is a Dell T710 with 48GB RAM and 15K internal disk for the
DB & Logs.

Your thoughts?
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator