ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Directory layout for tsm server v6.2 on linux platform

2011-02-16 08:16:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Directory layout for tsm server v6.2 on linux platform
From: Jonathan Kaufman <jkaufman AT FOOTLOCKER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 07:18:37 -0600
Hello Gary, hopefully you have had your questions answered by now, but if
not then let me chime in.

Before I begin, let me warn you that my experience with TSM 6.2 is on Aix,
so some things may not apply to RedHat Enterprise Linux.

For myself, the "correct" directory layout is a mixture of  personal
preference (the way we do things here) and how things work (The Tivoli
way).

There are likely some commonalities in the Tivoli way that can be applied
to different sites and likely between similar operating systems like Aix
and Linux.

For myself on Aix, the big problem was trying to determine the difference
between Instance ID and Instance Owner, which the tivoli docs use almost
interchangeably, but are still quite different.

For my example, I'll use tsminst1 as the Instance ID and tsmserv1 as the
Instance Owner.

By default on Aix TSM will install to /opt/tivoli/tsm, so this directory
and subdirectories will contain your TSM Server Code, DB2 Code and
Administration Center.

By default on Aix, a userid created will have it's home directory
in /home/username, which for tsmserv1 means /home/tsmserv1, however for my
purposes I changed this home directory to /opt/tivoli/tsm/tsmserv1.

I also create an Instance directory in tsmserv1's home directory  called
tsminst1, with tsmserv1 as the owner  with at least 700 permissions. I do
this because the text console installer requires an instance directory, but
will not create it automatically (or at least didn't for me).

A note of warning, on Aix TSM will put quite a bit of stuff into this
directory (/opt/tivoli/tsm/tsmserv1/tsminst1 in my example), so make sure
you have space available.

The text console installer on Aix is not very complicated, and doesn't seem
to give the same options as the gui installer, but it's enough to get the
job done.

        ./install.bin -i console
        -. Pick A Language
           -->2 (English)
           -->Enter
        -. Welcome
           -->Enter
        -. License Agreement
           -->1
           -->Enter
        -. Component Selection
           -->1,2       (TSM Server & TSM Devices)
           -->Enter
        -. Setup Instance User ID  (Defaults to tsmserv1)
           -->Enter Password
           -->Enter
        -. Pre-Installation Summary
           -->Enter     (Accept Defaults)

After I installed TSM, I needed to configure it, and unfortunately I
couldn't get the text console to work so these notes are for the Gui (but
still might be of interest to you).

        cd /opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin
        ./dsmicfgx
                -->Next
        Enter in userID/Password of Instance Owner
                UserID  : tsmserv1
                PAssword: xxxxxxxxx
                -->Next
        Enter in Instance Directory
                /opt/tivoli/tsm/tsmserv1/tsminst1 (you will need to create this
directory first, 770 owner tsmserv1.tsmserv)
                -->Next
        Enter in DAtabase directories
                Click on radio button for "The database directories are listed
below"
                Enter in /tsm/db2/tsminst1 in the text box
                -->Next
        Specify the directories for the database recovery logs (all
directories/filesystems will need to be created first)
                Active log size:                42GB
                Active log directory:           /tsm/db2active/tsminst1
                Primary archive log directory   /tsm/db2archive/tsminst1
                Secondary archive log directory /tsm/db2archivef/tsminst1
                -->Next
        Specify configuration information for the server
                Server Name:            xxxxxxxxx
                Server Language:        English
                Check radio button next to "Start the server automatically
using the instance user ID"
                -->Next
        Specify a TSM admin
                Administrator name:     xxxxx
                Administrator Password: xxxxxxxxxx      (it checks password
length)
                Verify password         xxxxxxxxxx
                -->Next
        Server Communications
                Client Port:            1500
                Admin Port              1500
                -->Next
        Verify Config
                -->Next
        WAIT

The Configurator will need the Instance owner to run your TSM instance, I
am choosing to run it as tsmserv1 and as such tsmserv1 need full
permissions to the directories that correspond to your tsm instance it's
running.

So tsmserv1 has full permissions to the Instance Directory
(/opt/tivoli/tsm/tsmserv1/tsminst1), the Active log directory
(/tsm/db2active/tsminst1), The Primary archive log directory
(/tsm/db2archive/tsminst1), the Secondary archive log driectory
(/tsm/db2archivef/tsminst1), the DB2 Instance (/tsm/db2/tsminst1) and
basically any other directory you want to use with that instance
(tsminst1).  Going to have diskpool? Then tsmserv1 needs full permissions
to the directory you are going to setup for diskpool? Want to perform a
database backup to disk, then tsmserv1 needs full permissions to that
directory as well.

Once you understand how things change a bit running TSM as a non-privileged
account vs the old method of using root...It becomes easier to understand
what directories need to be owned (or have write access to) the Instance
Owner (vs the Instance ID).

Now, in my setup I plan on having multiple Instances each with their own
Instance Owner, and with their own filesystems/directories.  I wouldn't be
surprised if you could have multiple instances each owned by the same
instance owner. You could of course also just run everything as root and
not worry about permissions (like it was done is the old 5.x days)

Hopefully my explanation helps you with your #1 and #2 questions.

Good Luck.

Jonathan Kaufman

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |"Lee, Gary D." <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |01/25/2011 02:12 PM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |Directory layout for tsm server v6.2 on linux platform

|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>

  |"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

Finally got the tsm server install to run on our redhat enterprise linux v6
server.

I am now confused on what the correct directory layout should be for a
server instance.

I went through the manual process of creating an instance, but when
finished, there were a number of problems.

1. permission errors

2 things not ending up where it appeared they should go.

It appears that most things default to the home directory of the instance
user id.
Should that be the instance directory as well?

So far, the install guide seems less than clear on a propper layout.

I am totally blind, so can't use the x-windows config tool, the admin
centter is very painful, so doing all by hand.

Some guideance here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

Gary Lee
Senior System Programmer
Ball State University
phone: 765-285-1310

                    Visit us on-line at footlocker.com.

The information in this e-mail, and any attachment therein, is confidential
and for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient,
please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer.
Although the Company attempts to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses,
it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability
for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.