ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Missing Archives

2011-02-07 13:17:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Missing Archives
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:15:50 -0500
Brian,

When you delete a primary storage pool volume with DISCARDDATA=YES, that
will also cause any backup copies in copy storage pools to be deleted. You
almost certainly do not want to do this as part of routine storage pool
volume repair. Take a look at the reference info for the DELETE VOLUME
command and make sure you understand all the caveats before using it.

Also be sure to check daily that BACKUP STGPOOL completes successfully.
There should be error or warning messages issued on the TSM server if there
were problems during the storage pool backup operation.

You should also review the Tivoli Storage Manager Administrator's Guide,
the chapter on "Protecting and recovering your server", section "Restoring
storage pool volumes" which provides the correct procedure for recovering a
storage pool volume.

About the missing archives: a couple of things you can do:

- As someone else suggested, make sure the files were not archived with a
client at a higher version. For example, if you archived the data with a
6.1 or 6.2 client, you cannot access it with a 5.5 client. You can repeat
the query with a higher version client to see if they appear.

- Check whether the files might have been archived using a different node
name.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2011-02-07
12:56:50: