ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Win64 2008: tsmutil164.dll and dsmntapi64.dll not found

2011-01-31 11:22:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Win64 2008: tsmutil164.dll and dsmntapi64.dll not found
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:21:49 -0500
Andy,
My client install files are on another server using a Windows share. I
log into the Win2008 (x64 SP2)virtual guest as a domain administrator
and perform these steps:
Start>Run> \\servername\clientfileshare
Select English for the language
The installer comes up, agree to the EULA
Our clients are not installed in the default dir, instead they go to
%systemdrive%/adsm (c:\adsm)
The client install completes without noticeable issue.
Go to the command prompt, right click and select "run as administrator"
Change to the baclient dir and attempt to run:
        Dsmcutil inst /name:'Service Name' /node:nodename /pass:password
/auto:y

This is when I get the error described below which led me to
investigate. Results; the registry is looking for the tsmutil164.dll in
the system32 directory but it is actually in the sysWOW64 directory.
Same issue when trying to open the TSM-GUI but the file name is
dsmntapi64.dll in that instance.

Thus far I have found nothing in any of the usual TSM log files and know
that we are using this client version on other 2008 servers.

The VMware admin claims there are no policies, etc. that are applied by
him, or modifications to the template that he is using to stand up these
virtual guests.

Appreciate your feedback.

~Rick