ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fastback Limitations

2010-12-16 14:49:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fastback Limitations
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:47:21 +1300
Hi all

I'm looking at a fastback solution for a customer that is converting
from a non-IBM mainframe solution to an all Windows/SQL Server 2008
infrastructure.

After nearly falling off my chair when I saw the list price of a
standard TSM/TDP for Databases solution Iooked at TSM Fastback, and this
looks like it might fit the bill at reasonable cost. However, looking at
the available documentation, I see a couple of possible show-stoppers.

First, the Deployment Guide Redbook is based on fastback 5.5 and states.

<quote>
Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack support for Windows Dynamic Disk is
limited to Simple Volumes. Spanned, Mirrored, Striped, and RAID-5
Dynamic Volumes are not supported at this time, and using them can
result in corrupted data.
</quote>

Is this likely to be an issue for a normally configured app residing on
LUNs on an enterprise SAN?  Hey, cut me some slack I'm a unix guy.

Next, the deployment guide states

<quote>
FastBack Snapshot implications when client is rebooted When the client
is rebooted to correct an issue, you must consider the following:

Performance

The best FastBack performance currently documented is around 300-400
Mbps. Field experiences show the full backup is transferring data at
around 1 GB per minute. So, backing up a 4 TB volume can take a while
(4000 minutes or 67 hours, which is more than 2 days).

Delta blocks
Every time a server with FastBack Client is rebooted, it runs a delta
block snapshot. This snapshot takes approximately the same time as the
full snapshot to run. In the case of a 4 TB storage, the server is
unprotected for 2 to 3 days on every reboot.
</quote>

Is this still the case with Fastback 6.1?  My databases are 2TB and I'm
not sure that a day or more without backup is going to be acceptable.

Third, I see a limitation of 40 clients per fastback server.  Given the
rate at which VMs proliferate these days, that is going to max out my
server very quickly.  Is this a hard limit or  a suggested limit
depending on workload?  I am looking at a Dell R515 with 12x2TB SATA
disks for my fastback server, raid5 as this is the cheapest way to buy
disk capacity. If I have to use multiple Fastback servers I'll need to
consider a number of frontend server boxes and a backend SATA array at
considerably increased purchase and housing costs.

Are there any other gotchas to worry about?

Thanks

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin