ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What is "Days between backups field" in Admin Center/ISC/TIP

2010-12-02 23:25:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What is "Days between backups field" in Admin Center/ISC/TIP
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 23:24:41 -0500
This maps to the FREQUENCY setting that goes in the management class's
backup copy group definition.

If effectively adds another criterion to incremental backup: that is, the
file must have changed AND the file must not have been backed up within the
past n days (where n is the frequency setting). For example, assume the
file was backed up on Dec 1. Even if the file changes every day, it will
not be eligible for incremental backup again until Dec 8, no matter how
many times it changes between those dates.

The default value is 0 which means that the number of days since the last
backup is not a factor.

Frequency does not prevent a file from being selectively backed up.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2010-12-02
16:52:13:

> From: Nicholas Rodolfich <NRodolfich AT CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
> Date: 2010-12-02 16:54
> Subject: Re: What is "Days between backups field" in Admin Center/ISC/TIP
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> Thanks for you help Rick,
>
> I normally see this set to 0. So does 0 mean no restrictions? (i.e - it
can
> be backup up as many times in a day as wanted)
>

>    You said "Say it is set to 1 day then those clients cannot perform
>    backups
>    more than once a day."
>
> This seems strange to me since this parameter refers to a management
class,
> and a management class does not refer to clients, it refers to a specific
> file space or directory or file(s). How can it prevent a backup from
> occurring on a client? Maybe, the files that the management class binding
> calls out can only be backed up once a day?
>
> Thanks Again Rick!
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicholas
>

> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/02/2010
> 03:15:35 PM:
>
> > [image removed]
> >
> > Re: [ADSM-L] What is "Days between backups field" in Admin
Center/ISC/TIP

> > Rick Adamson
> >
> > to:
> >
> > ADSM-L
> >
> > 12/02/2010 03:16 PM
> >
> > Sent by:
> >
> > "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >
> > Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
> >
> > It is a parameter the restricts how frequently backups of a client can
> > occur. Say it is set to 1 day then those cients cannot perform backups
> > more than once a day. I have used it to control a few backup happy
> > admins here that like to perform a backup after each step of a project
> > which at times equated up to 35 times in a 24 hour period.
> >

> > ~Rick

Of