ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Frustrated by slowness in TSM 6.2

2010-11-19 00:32:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Frustrated by slowness in TSM 6.2
From: Josh Davis <xaminmo AT OMNITECH DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:30:15 -0600
Maybe something simple like verifying TCPWIN on the receiving side is 2x
TCPBUF on th sender.
Set COMPRESS=NO to make sure you're not misreading retransmits.
Check topas during your local backup to itself.
Check nmon's disk stats during the backup to see if you've got a hot LUN.
Check the same from any disk perf monitoring.
Check errpt
Check your db2 logs for any sort of errors

With the XIV, streaming thruput should be fine.  It's only the IOPS that
will be weak.  Your physical limit would be around 16k IOPS, though you have
on-disk cache and write combining, as well as the 120GB of cache (8*15).
 You could run into some back-side 10GE saturation if your LUN pathing isn't
well balanced.

VIO servers also have some limitations.  If you're using VIO MPIO, are you
set for round robin at every stage?  By default, you'll be active/passive
between the two vscsi adapters, and then whatever you're doing for load
balance on the VIO servers.

Also, the VIO servers will need CPU to drive IOPS.  Check topas on the VIO
servers during your tests.

NPIV is preferred for lower latency through the VIO server, plus you can run
4-path multipath with load balancing on the client rather than having the
VIO server(s) muddle through.

---
Sincerely,
Josh-Daniel S. Davis