ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Database audit performance

2010-11-18 12:55:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Database audit performance
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:53:08 -0500
If it is only the Oracle recovery logs that is preventing downtime, I
imagine there would be a workaround for that.
Maybe the recovery logs could be dumped to disk for the duration, then
backed up manually after the "operation"

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
11/18/2010 05:44 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Database audit performance

Hi TSM-ers!
We're having orphaned database entries, caused by a very old bug, fixed
some server releases ago, but only recently discovered. I'm currently
trying to find a way to speed-up the auditdb performance.
What I'm planning to do is this:
1) backup the database on our production server
2) stop the production server
3) restore the production database on our test server which already used
new disks, allocated on our new Vmax.
4) perform an audit fix=yes on this database
5) backup the fixed database and restore it on the production server
I already tested the scenario above and it works, but the audit takes
too long to finish (17 hours). Since we're backing up a lot of Oracle
databases, TSM downtime will be too long, the Oracle recovery logs will
fill up and the databases will stop.
We are running an AIX TSM server with plenty of memory and multiple HBA
to the SAN.
Restoring the database runs ok, Topas is showing around 25 Mb/sec disk
write speed. I have seen better performance on Vmax disks, but I can
live with this.
When I start the audit Topas shows a disk read and write speed average
less than 1 Mb./sec. CPU average is around 50% and vmstat shows no page
in and out.
I tried everything: mounting the filespace with cio, dio, using RAW
logical volumes, tuning read ahead through ioo, it doesn't make any
difference or even gets worse (when using RAW for instance).
I'm really out of options here. Something is holding back the audit, but
I can't find what!
Does anybody have some tips for me?
Thank you VERY much in advance!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
</pre>********************************************************<br>For
information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If
you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or
any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other
action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and
may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify
the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this
message.<br><br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its
subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible
for any delay in receipt.<br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V.
(also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The
Netherlands, with registered number  33014286

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.