ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM5.5/AIX61 Performance Monitoring

2010-11-16 17:31:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM5.5/AIX61 Performance Monitoring
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:29:06 -0500
hmm, so topas -T gives me per/tape-drive stats.  Do you know how to save
that data in the nmon-snapshot format?

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
r.post AT PLCS DOT NL

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
11/16/2010 05:23 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject

On 16 nov 2010, at 22:03, Shawn Drew wrote:

> Looking for some tips on performance monitoring.  I've been through the
> tuning guide, but I'm looking for
> monitoring CPU/Memory, HBA usage, disk/tape performance, etc.
>
> I'm wondering what are the favorite tools on this list.   From what I
can
> gather nmon doesn't collect tape drive data, which is one of my major
> interests.

not exactly per drive but nmon command ^ gives you the stats of your HBAs.
The only thing that does better that that is the TSM server
instrumentation (instr begin, instr end f=<file>), but I wouldn't run that
for very long periods of time.

I think your options are limited to nmon and good old sar.

> I need to collect historical data for long term trends.  Does anyone
know
> if you can keep topas output in single, periodic snapshots like nmon?

topas and nmon have merged... they are now one and the same.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl
+31 6 248 21 622

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.