ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] De-dup ratio's

2010-11-16 11:03:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] De-dup ratio's
From: "Colwell, William F." <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0500
Hi Eric,

I started doing dedup fairly soon after 6.1 became available.  What I
found is that
the server had a lot of trouble expiring large files.  After expire runs
and appears to
be done, the server has a lot of extra work to do before it actually
deletes chunks from
storagepools.  And early in 6.1, this code had problems and was
inefficient.  So I had
to stop deduping big files to get the server to run smoothly.  Oracle
backups were very
bad this way and they weren't getting spectacular dedup ratios so I
stopped deduping and
returned to doing client compression which gets about 80% compression.

The process is much better now - I know this because I tested a lot of
patches to it - so I
am thinking of deduping 2GB files, and if all goes well then 4 GB etc.

But I won't start deduping PST's again because they are backed up every
day and I only keep 3 versions
so why do all the dedup effort only to have to go thru the chunk
deletion effort 3 days later?
Then I would have to reclaim the volumes to actually get the space back.

What I do now is back them up to their own storagepool directly to my
Sata filesystems using scratch
volumes.  The storagepool is collocated by node.  Every day at 17:30 I
update all volumes in the
pool to be readonly.  This sets up a state of one file per volume.  When
expiration runs and a PST
is deleted, the volume is deleted too and I get the space back
immediately - no reclaim process is needed.

All together this storage pool needs about 15 TB of space.

Thanks,

Bill Colwell