ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Using TSM to restore a mailbox

2010-11-15 16:36:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] Using TSM to restore a mailbox
From: "Tyree, David" <david.tyree AT SGMC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:34:33 -0500
                We are in the process of transitioning from Exchange
2000 to Exchange 2007. Our TSM server is at 5.5.4.1 (we are going to 6.x
within 6 months or so). We are currently doing legacy backups using the
5.x TDP for Exchange. We plan to start out doing legacy backups with the
6.x TDP on the new server and then switch over to VSS once we get the
6.x TSM server up and running.

                Currently if a user "accidently" deletes something from
their mailbox we use a product called Exchange Recovery Manager from a
company called Quest. I do a TSM restore of an older Exchange backup
into the Quest recovery manager and I can then bring back whatever the
user lost. We have never used the Quest product as a part of our DR
plan, we only use it for "accident" prone users.

                At this point we are just learning about all the new
features in Exchange 2007 and one of the items we are looking at is the
Recovery Storage Group within Exchange 2007.

                It appears that we can use that group to do essentially
the same thing as the Quest product for our "accident" prone users. It
looks like we can do a restore from backup into the Recovery Storage
Group and then restore mailboxes and or emails.

                Are we going down the right road or our we completely
off base here?

                Thanks

David Tyree
Interface Analyst
South Georgia Medical Center
229.333.1155

Confidential Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
copies of the original message.