ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Compatibilities between V6 and V5 servers

2010-10-29 16:30:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] Compatibilities between V6 and V5 servers
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:29:15 -0400
A few questions about compatibility between sever version.

I know that you can't directly export from a V6.2 server and import to
V5.x server.  Can you do this via tape or does the same rule apply?

How about between a 6.2 and 6.1 server?

Library managers and library clients?   I know the docs say the highest
version server should/must be the library manager as far as documented
support/compatibility.  However, I have been running my 6.1.x server as a
library client to the 5.5 library managers without any problems.  Now with
2-new 6.2 servers looming, I am working towards shifting library manager
functionality to the 6.2 servers. But I want a "safety net" in case a
library manager server fails/is unavailable (currently one server manages
the TS1120 drives and another the TS1130 drives but all servers are
cross-defined to each library manager server).

Has anyone tested/configured a 6.2 server as a library client to a 5.5
server?
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University