ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP Exchange indiviual mailbox restore failure

2010-10-28 07:50:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP Exchange indiviual mailbox restore failure
From: Bjoern Rackoll <backup AT RRZ.UNI-HAMBURG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:48:48 +0200
Hi Del,

As Cory stated and is documented:

"For Exchange 2010, both the Client Access (CAS) role and the Mailbox
role must be installed on the machine where the
Data Protection for Exchange mailbox restore is being performed."

yes, I've read that document. Since we cannot go that road, I'm looking
for alternatives. Is there any other (probably even third-party) tool
that can be used to extract one user's mailbox from a complete Exchange
database restore?

This is a current limitation that will require a fix from Microsoft
and possibly some updates to Data Protection for Exchange
to resolve completely.

IBM is working with Microsoft to resolve this limitation.

Is there any timeframe for that? Any technote by Microsoft?

Until a "fix" is available, the only workaround is to perform
the IMR restore on a machine that has the CAS role installed.

The machine that has the CAS role installed has no mailbox role, and no
access to storage. That will stay that way.

I'm sorry to say that IMR with CAS and mailbox roles separated are an
absolute requirement in our setup, so if there's no solution in a
not-too-long timeframe (and be it with some third-party tool), we have
to look for a completely different backup solution for Exchange.

Regards,

--
Bjoern Rackoll
University of Hamburg