ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] rotating private tapes into/out of 3584 manually

2010-10-19 12:35:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] rotating private tapes into/out of 3584 manually
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:33:31 -0700
Keith,
   You can just use "checkout libvolume library_name volume_name
remove=bulk checklabel=no"  and insert your library_name and volume_name
as appropriate.  Then you want to "update volume volume_name
access=unavail" so TSM won't try to access them.  TSM will not loose
track of the data on a tape just because it is checked out of the
library.  It will still be in a storage pool, and TSM still knows
everything on it.
   If you have any separate storage pools for archive data, you could
check out those first, because you are probably less likely to need
them.  Also, you can query the tapes and see which ones have not been
written to  in a long time as good candidates to check out.  You can
issue "select volume_name,status,pct_utilized,last_write_date from
volumes order by last_write_date" to get a list of tape candidates.
Ideally you want to check out tapes with a status of Full, and a high
pct_utilized, because they won't come up for reclamation for awhile.

   I hope you can get an additional frame soon, because TSM is much
easier to manage if you have enough room in the library.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC
Office: (314) 635-5424 / Toll Free: (866) 796-9226
Cell: (314) 750-8721