ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to clone backup to a tape?

2010-09-29 13:31:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to clone backup to a tape?
From: "Bruce T. Harvey" <bruce.harvey.nonemployee AT PNC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:30:39 -0400
That depends on what you mean by 'backup.'  If it's just a list of files,
tcopy or dd could work.  However, if you are trying to take a system image
like a mksysb file and trying to create a bootable tape, you'll need to
put some extra, undocumented files in three different filesets prior to
the backup itself.  They need to be using a certain block size
(ostensibly), need to have a bootable image for that machine type and
release in it, and there's some other stuff I forget.  I actually did this
manually, because we needed to create some bootable "mksysb-plus" tapes
that had additional raw logical volume contents on the tail end of the
tape, so I had to manage the creation of the tape myself from scratch.
This was before Sysback, but I don't imagine it's much different in scope,
even though the contents might be a little different.

Many thanks!

Bruce T.

Bruce T. Harvey
AIX Network Engineer
PNC Bank @ Rivertech
office         301-699-4013
facsimile  301-887-4070
mobile      443-465-1204

Wira Chinwong <wira AT SCSI.CO DOT TH>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
09/29/10 12:34 PM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] How to clone backup to a tape?

I've successfully clone TSM tape backup by using "tcopy" command on AIX.

Best Regards,

Wira Chinwong

SCSi Co., Ltd.

2521/69 Biztown Ladprao Rd.,
Klongchaokhunsingha, Wangthonglang, Bangkok 10310
Tel 02-9559873-4  Fax 02-9559875 ext 5
Mobile: 086-9092992
E-mail: wira AT scsi.co DOT th