ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM and XIV

2010-09-29 08:39:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM and XIV
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:36:37 -0400
How full is your XIV frame?  It is my understanding that the XIV
performance is significantly better with a full frame than a frame.

>>> Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL> 9/29/2010 7:47 AM >>>
Hi all,

I'm currently testing TSM 5.5.4 on AIX 5.3 with an IBM XIV box.

When I use dd or other tools to copy data off the disk to tape (LTO4),
we
get quite a good performance, 100 MB/s or better. Even when backing up
data
on the XIV via shared memory directly to tape, we're quite happy, we
can
read the data at over 100 MB/s for one backup job, and for over 200
MB/s for
two jobs. But, when TSM uses the XIV for DISK volumes, we're not in a
happy
place, backing up data from one XIV to TSM with diskpool on another
XIV, we
get about 55 MB/s per backup job, best case. Both XIV boxes are
otherwise
completely idle. When migrating data of the diskpool to tape, it's the
same,
no matter what we do, we don't even get close to the LTO4 native
performance, about 70 MB/s is the best I've seen, and usually it's
less. The
TSM server is at that time only running the migration, nothing else.

The stragest thing we notice is that TSM seems to completely pause
every so
often, no disk i/o, no tape i/o no cpu utilization, nothing for about
one
second, and the it goes again. When I let two migration processes run,
this
is less obvious, because one process continues while the other one
pauses.

We've opened a hardware call with IBM to find out if there are any
settings
on the hdisks or HBAs that we need to change, and even though we did
get
some hints, and some performance improvement out of that, we fell that
TSM
should be able to do a lot better.

Does anyone else have experience with XIV as a diskpool? and if so,
what
sort of performance do you see?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,